The National Museum of History (NMH; Chinese: 國立歷史博物館) is located in the Nanhai Academy in Zhongzheng
and exhibits Chinese historical items. After the Republic of China government moved to Taiwan, the National Museum of History was the first museum established.
A “National Museum of Historical Artifacts and Fine Arts” was established in a Japanese style building near the Taipei Botanical Garden in 1955. It was renamed “National Museum of History” in 1956 and the building was renovated in a five-floor traditional Chinese Ming and Qing palace style, with four floors for exhibition and staff offices, and one floor for storage.
Despite its limited space, the NMH is renowned for its international exhibitions, and proactive and innovative museum development and educational programs.Various conversions of the building have been carried out over the years to adapt it as a modern space fit for the newest exhibition facilities and requirements. Most recently, architect Michael Graves designed major renovations in 2002.
The museum collections continued to grow with annual acquisitions obtained with government procurement budget allocations and donations from private collectors. The annual acquisitions provided the museum with artifacts and relics from mainland China, Taiwan, and other countries. The collections dated back to the Neolithic period, the ancient Chinese dynasties of Shang, Zhou, Han, Tang, Song, Yuan, Ming, and Qing, to the contemporary era.