Southwark Park is located in Rotherhithe, in central South East London, and is managed by the London Borough of Southwark. It first opened in 1869 by the Metropolitan Board of Works as one of its first parks. It was designed by Alexander McKenzie and covers 63 acres (250,000 sq m). It received £2.5 million from the National Lottery's Heritage Lottery Fund in 1998 which enabled large parts of The Park to be refurbished.
The bandstand dates from 1884 and was originally sited in the Royal Horticultural Society grounds at South Kensington. It has a sister in Peckham Rye Park. The Old English Cottage Garden was designed by Col. J.J. Sexby, Parks Superintendent for the London County Council. The idea for the rose garden came from Dr Alfred Salter, Member of Parliament for West Bermondsey. It was opened in 1936 and was named after Ada Salter when she died in 1943.
Other facilities include a cafe, a wildlife garden, a boating lake and an art gallery. Sports facilities include an athletics track run by Fusion, a bowling green, football pitches and tennis courts.
There is a "Friends of Southwark Park" group and a "Young Friends of Southwark Park" group to encourage the community to get involved in the management of their park. The Friends of Southwark Park is a non-party-political community organisation, recognised by the London Borough of Southwark. Its primary role is to liaise with, and encourage the Council to look after The Parks in the interests of the people who use them.