Telhara. HISTORY Telhara.-Telhara is a town in the west of Akot taluk 17 miles from Akot. It is situated near to Satpuda parvat and having extreme climate conditions always. Town suffers too much cold in winter (may go up to 3 - 5 degrees), too much rain and too much hot (temperature in month of May may rise up to 48 degrees). It is situated near by "Gautama" river. Its population was 4,294 in 1891 and 5160 in 1901; it is thus the third largest place in the taluk.
When Jalgaon taluk belonged to Akola District an Extra-Assistant Commissioner was stationed at Telhara and had civil jurisdiction over Akot and Jalgaon taluks. This has now been discontinued, but during 1908 a Bench of Honorary Magistrates was established at Telhara with jurisdiction over one-fourth of Akot taluk. For revenue purposes there are five separate villages adjoining one another, two of them having the name Telhara and the other three having Muslim names. A Panchgawahan,Malegaon.Ghoregaon, three were founded by a Muslim Emperor, but there is account of mosque and darga considerable Muslim settlement in the town. an old mosque in weekly bazaar road and so many old dargah. The population is that there is a very large Marwari colony here. Muslim are said to number about 250 families , Kunbis 125 or 150, but Marwaris 200, or one-fifth of the whole; almost all of these have come since the Assignment. Many of them are sahukars and have made large fortunes, so that three-quarters of the land of the five villages is in their hands, but poorer caste-fellows have come to work for these; thus Marwari Mochis, leather-workers, amount to about 25 families. The houses of the wealthy have in many cases fronts of carved wood, which form a striking characteristic of the town. The place has no ancient temples of much interest, but several temples of some size have been built during the last fifty years. Harakhchand Gulabchand, Honorary Magistrate, a Swetambari Jain, to carry out a vow of his father's, has at a cost of Rs. 40,000 or more built a temple to Padmaprahu, one of the 24 Tirthankaras of the Jains. It has a golden image, and the building is strikingly coloured and furnished; some of the details, such as the introduction of the figures of British soldiers in the front, seem at first incongruous, but have at least a certain significance. The neighbourhood is rich in large weekly markets, the chief being that at Malegaon, 3 miles away. One is held at Telhara on Sundays. During the rest of the week, but not on bazar day, the same site is used as a cotton-market. The demand is that of four gins and two presses in the town, but this is sufficient to absorb all the cotton of the locality and to bring perhaps 200 or 250 carts a day into Telhara. A police station and a hospital have been situated here for many years, and there is also a telegraph-office; the schools are vernacular only. A library survives from the time of the important courts now removed. The size of the town causes difficulties about its sanitation, and its commercial activity is somewhat hampered in the rains by the lack of good metalled roads, as the road from Telhara to Adsul is not kept in good condition. The town used to celebrate all festivals.